Exfoliating your hands can be a great way to keep your hands looking and feeling fresh. With the right products and techniques, you can quickly and easily remove buildup and dead skin cells, revealing glowing, soft skin underneath.
But with so many products on the market, it can be hard to know where to start. Let's dive into the dos and don’ts of exfoliating your hands.
DO follow a hand care routine
Step 1: Choose the Right Product
The first step in exfoliating your hands is to choose the right product. When selecting a product, look for one that is specifically designed to exfoliate your hands. Generally, you'll want to look for a product that contains ingredients like alpha hydroxy acid, aloe vera, and jojoba oil. These ingredients can help to gently remove the build-up of dead skin cells and debris, leaving your skin feeling soft and smooth.
PAUME’s exfoliating hand cleanser has a unique formula, designed to leave your skin clean, soft, and moisturized. We use ingredients such as:
- Cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine - a gentle foaming cleanser, derived from coconut oil.
- Cellulose microbeads - a plant based and biodegradable alternative to exfoliation.
- Hydresia G2 - a sustainably produced emollient derived from safflower oil, that delivers skin nourishing vitamins and enhanced long lasting hydration.
Step 2: Apply the Product
Once you have your product ready to go, it's time to apply it. Start by wetting your hands with warm water and then take a small amount of the exfoliating product and massage it into your hands. Be sure to pay special attention to areas that may need extra exfoliation, such as around the nails and in the creases of your hands.
Looking for extra help? Our hand and nail brush get into those hard-to-reach areas, such as under your nails and around your cuticles.
Step 3: Rinse and Dry
Once you have applied the product, rinse your hands with warm water. Make sure to get off all of the residue from the exfoliating product. Once you have done this, pat your hands dry with a clean towel.
Step 4: Apply Moisturizer
The last step in exfoliating your hands is to apply a moisturizer. This will help to soothe and protect your skin after the exfoliating process. Choose a moisturizer that is specifically designed for hands and apply a generous amount over your hands. Massage the moisturizer into your hands until it is fully absorbed.
DON’T over do it
When exfoliating your hands, it's important to avoid certain practices that could cause damage to your skin. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Do not use a scrub that is too abrasive or contains large particles. Many exfoliants contain tiny particles that can gently remove dead skin cells without causing irritation.
- Avoid using exfoliators with harsh ingredients such as alcohol, menthol, and fragrances which can strip the natural oils from your skin.
- Do not rub your hands too harshly when exfoliating as this can cause irritation and damage to the skin. Use gentle circular motions instead.
- Do not use an exfoliator more than once a week as this could lead to dryness and irritation. Once or twice a week is usually sufficient to keep your hands looking soft and smooth.
- Lastly, avoid spending too much time exfoliating your hands. Too much exfoliation can lead to skin damage and irritation. A few minutes is usually enough to do the job.
Of course, everyone’s skin is different and their hand care routine should reflect this. Although our tips can be handy for anyone, remember to practice patch tests and be patient – both with incorporating a new lifestyle routine and with seeing results. Regardless, PAUME is here to be your hand care guide. Visit our shop and take a look at our bundles for the best hand and nail essentials!